Thursday, May 23, 2024

Kitty Corner: A Short Play

                                    

Genoa was relocating, and we had her cats for a few months. This is a short play about how that went.


                                         Kitty Corner

        By kryssi martin

23 May 2024


Sock,a tortoise shell cat,is cowering in a drawer. Cecil, a cream colored male cat is perched above her, staring her down. Easily staged with two levels using a barstool as CECIL’S perch and a pillow on stage as the “ drawer”. There is a heating pad farther SR on a “bed”.


SOCK is crouched in the drawer. CECIL stares for two beats, then without expression,reaches down and swats at her head. She hisses.


SOCK

Dude, you don’t live here. Get out.

CECIL

I can’t, they left me.

SOCK

I can see why; you’re rude.

CECIL

It’s not permanent, they are moving. 

SOCK

    Moving sounds permanent.

CECIL

They left me here to keep me safe and out of the way while they move.

SOCK

So they can live happily without you.

CECIL

So they can come back and fetch me once they’ve moved.

SOCK

                            What if they left you?

CECIL

Why would you say that?

SOCK

How do you think I got here, genius?

CECIL

Somebody left you here?

SOCK

No, they left me outside. They called me “feral” when I was found. After The Nice Family brought me here, I killed a lot of birds. A Lot. And bunnies. Beheaded them. I left them on the patio for the fox. We had an arrangement.

CECIL

(Cecil looks disgusted) I’ve never been left. They’ve been my owners since I can remember. (he licks his  paws) I try to get out but they always catch me.



SOCK

Ya, I’ve seen that. You don’t run fast enough. Or far enough. You just toddle out a few feet and then roll over to be scratched. That’s not being outside and free.

CECIL

You live in a drawer, what do you know?

SOCK

I don’t live in this drawer, twat, this is my house I live in the whole house. Beat. You clearly do not really want to be free. You’re happy being catered to:Indoor Cat, cared for, Fresh Pet fed spoiled. Leaving would mean fending for yourself. You can’t do that.

CECIL

And you’re all bad ass in your drawer.You don’t know me.

SOCK

I lived my life. I had adventures.Sometimes I was hungry. Sometimes I had to beat up a raccoon. Once a car almost got me. I came here and they gave me shelter but let me be free and I got fed. I am grateful.

CECIL

You’re an old, sad coward in a drawer.

SOCK

             There’s a whole house you can be roaming.

CECIL

I’m bored. I wanna talk to someone. 

SOCK

You can’t be alone,either? Won’t go outside, won’t leave others alone, can’t be alone…

CECIL

My  human doesn’t let me outside because they love me and want to keep me safe.

SOCK

Friend, your human is related to my human. Your human was raised with me. She lived with me- an indoor/outdoor cat.

CECIL

“They”.

SOCK

(Rolls her eyes)“They” know outside cats can thrive and love and rejoice, and indoor cats who were outdoor cats are quiet and happy. They’re ruining your life by limiting your experiences to indoors. 

CECIL

They’re just careful and loving.

SOCK

They were given decapitated bunnies for many years because they cannot take care of themselves. They are incompetent and you are codependent. 

CECIL

That’s rude and you are  disgusting.

SOCK

That’s being a cat. Beat. Are you even  grateful?

CECIL

        For what?

SOCK

Your fancy fresh food, your owners who want to keep you safe while they move, who keep you inside -which has crippled your social skills…

CECIL

It’s their job to take care of me. I didn’t ask to be born. I didn’t ask them to choose me, so I    expect to be cared for. I deserve it.

SOCK

You’re a jerk. At least I won’t always be in this drawer. Beat. “But you’ll always be a jerk….”

CECIL

I think I heard my owners read that off of a coffee cup.

SOCK

Meow.

CECIL

 Drawer coward. Look, what are you talking about “grateful”? We’re cats. We only need humans to open our food. We are notoriously ungrateful.

SOCK

So it appears, yes. It’s a cultivated attitude. But we don’t mean it. Humans expect us to be  haughty until we want to be pet or snuggled. We have an agreement,but we are grateful for them and they are grateful for us.

CECIL

 Who cares? They feed me. I knock stuff over. Why do I need to understand anything?And why won’t you get out of that drawer?

SOCK

 Every time I try to come out you swat at me.

CECIL

Well that’s not such tough “I killed birds” behavior.

SOCK

I’m a hundred years old, kid. I earned that spot on the bed. You’re interfering with my very          comfortable elder years.

CECIL

I just want to talk to you. You keep hissing at me.

SOCK

‘Cause you keep swatting at me and trying to get in my drawer and you aren’t talking, you’re attacking. 

CECIL

I don’t want in your drawers…sshisssssssmrf.

SOCK

        Hilarious.

CECIL

It’s rude not to share.

SOCK

It’s my drawer. Bugger off.

CECIL

We share in our house.

SOCK

Well you’re not in your house, kid. You’ve been left here. Probably 

forever. I bet you ‘ll never see them again.

CECIL

(Swats at Sock) Stop staying that.

                                        SOCK

Stop swatting at me, ass hat (spits and hisses).

CECIL

I just want to know what’s so great about that drawer.

SOCK

It’s my drawer. She cleaned it out after I hid in here when you arrived. What’s great is that it’s 

       mine.  

CECIL

Does it have a heater?

SOCK

  No.

CECIL

Then why is it so great?

SOCK

Because it’s mine (she hisses and spits).

CECIL

That  heating pad on the bed is nice. That yours too?

SOCK

Why are you like this? You know it’s mine. You’ve been blocking my path most of the day. I just want to cross to my heating pad from the drawer and you keep swatting at me.

CECIL

I’m playing, Boomer, don’t you know how to play?

SOCK

Did you not hear about the dead birds?That’s how I play.

CECIL

Look, lady, I’m bigger than you. I can kick your butt right out of there.

SOCK

Try it (she flexes her claws). I’ll send you to sleep with all those birds.

CECIL

Cecil jumps into the drawer. She slashes his nose and he jumps out

SOCK

Do not underestimate the elderly, son.

CECIL

Ow, that was rude.

SOCK

No, that was defensive. You’re trying to take my drawer.

CECIL

Shessh, just share. What’s the big deal?

SOCK

  The big deal is that it’s my drawer.

CECIL

We share at our house.

SOCK

    You already said that, imbecile. 

CECIL

(swats at her) There is no need to call me names.

SOCK

We call each other names in our house.

CECIL

I like the spot on the bed, too. It’s warm, maybe I’ll go back over there.

SOCK

That’s my heating pad. They bought it for my old bones. You’ll get your stupid fur all over it.

                            CECIL

So get out of the drawer and go lay on the heating pad. 

SOCK

    Glares at him.

CECIL

All you have to do is get past me.

Sock slashes his nose and jumps out of  the drawer headed for the bed. He chases her                             and she turns back to the drawer. He resumes his perch above.

CECIL

Wow. That was lame.

   He walks to the bed and snuggles onto the heating pad. 

So you want your heating pad and the drawer? Doesn’t that make you an                      

                                                   Overhoused Senior?

SOCK

Meow.

CECIL

I see why you like this,(he wiggles his butt into the heating pad make snuggle purrring sounds)     

            but it’s too hot for me.

(Hops down, saunters back to perch over the drawer. Sock seizes the opportunity to bolt to her heating pad. Cecil doesn't try to stop her, he wants the drawer.)

CECIL

        I won.

SOCK

         Sure, whatever you need to believe. 

CECIL

Meow.

SOCK

  Hiss.

CECIL

  Try not to die on that heating pad.

         SOCK

            Try not to pee in the drawer.



           SCENE





No comments:

Post a Comment