Monday, August 19, 2019

This Is Why I'm Like This: The Side Door


  I have never, that I can recall, entered a career or a relationship through the front door.
  This metaphor is pretty transparent. No need to badger you with my history, just take my word for it. I will use the example of my current teaching career. I did not go to college with the intent of becoming a teacher. I did not return to school to receive my certification through a traditional program. I got the job, first, then entered the TIR at Metro for my certification. I understand this is not just unconventional, but my mentors informed me that it was the most difficult path to becoming a teacher. The program had a high wash out rate, and you are asked to teach full time, learn about the law, classroom management and state standards whilst teaching. You are also building your portfolio for the CDE, and paddling like hell to stay afloat.  My mom used to shake her head and wonder why I always had to do everything the hard way. I dunno. It's just more meaningful that way. Or I'm just a pill. You decide.
   That's the path I chose.
   So it is without any surprise at all that I watch my children do the same thing.
   Genoa was the one who ventured farthest toward that traditional front door, she entered college and lived in the dorms. Then she made a hard left and dropped out for a semester before deciding to return. That's my kid! She graduated and spent the last year in Durango teaching preschool, making her own way, damn the torpedoes and crappy apartment. Again, that's my kid. She has moved back in temporarily to work at a job closer to her heart and adjust her priorities: Do What You Love, Fuck The Rest.
   Harp is the closest to following my path, she went to Red Rocks for a semester, then switched to massage therapy school, became a massage therapist, only to conclude she did not like it. Then she got her Pharm Tech Certificate, and then decided that what she wanted all along was med school---nobody is surprised, we were calling her Dr. Harper when she was five---and Loans Be Damned, she's going to do it. She is returning to RRCC to burn off her gen eds and get on track, because she's still too stubborn to just take out a loan and go to CU. I love how frugal she is, I know where she gets it, but it gets in the way of Doing What She Loves. Taking out loans counts as "Fuck The Rest".

  That's all, briefly. I just wanted to give a moment to my off center, side door beauties who are gonna do what they wanna do, but they're gonna do it their own way.

  I love them.


  I couldn't be more proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment