Sunday, June 16, 2019

This Is Why I'm Like This: Theatre Broke Up With Me


  As I was relaxing in Steamboat yesterday, sitting with a colleague/former colleague, she asked what I was doing this summer. She asked, knowing I direct summer camp shows, and was expecting show titles and ages of kids as the answer. I laughed and said "Working in the warehouse. I think theatre broke up with me."
   She laughed.
   I laughed as well, but it doesn't make it any less true.
   Granted, theatre has not thrown my CDs out the door of her car and onto the lawn. But she has been removed from my working environment. She doesn't even speak to me, and I don't walk to her end of the building.
    She hasn't called any of my ex's to commiserate about what a psycho I am. Largely because I don't have any ex's
    She did cut me off when I made a minor communication error, which I guess she felt was like forgetting her birthday. So my second chance/gig was yanked away without pause. She was pretty pissed about that.
    I was not invited back to any of her friends' camps, either, this summer. They all took her side in the break up.
    I dragged myself to the other side of town for an audition last week, waiting in the lobby hoping she would at least look at me so we could talk this out. Nope. I don't think she heard me at all.
    I'm not a rank amateur, I am not awaiting a phone call or email asking me to come back.
    At first we were kept apart by a third party who hated me and wanted us separated. But now, after three years of struggle, I guess she decided it was too much work to try and stay together. It was only over the summer, anyway, we aren't allowed to speak during the school year. And I am definitely older now, and she doesn't age, and theatre is a young person's gig I am told. I am told that a lot. A Lot.
   And so, theatre finally broke up with me.
   Good thing I like working in the warehouse. Although, admittedly, I do put in my headphones and listen to musicals or podcasts with actors talking about the craft. But not all day. It's too much all day. Maybe an hour, then I return to the fashion of Duran Duran  who I watch as well as listen to, because they are beautiful, or KC and The Sunshine Band. Because that's the way he likes it.
    But I have not listened to Neil Sedaka quite yet, or any other break up songs.
    Because breaking up sucks.
    But is it hard to do, really? This feels like it's dragged on for ages, dude. Just throw my shit out the car door and move on. I keep using that example because it's my favorite. I've never broken up /been broken up with (you just read that in the above paragraph, I have no ex's), but I did witness the throwing of CDs out of a moving car in lieu of words or a phone call, and frankly, it was hilarious. Particularly  because the fact that they were dating was supposed to be a "secret".  A public break up of a secret relationship is always good  entertainment.
     So all in all to sum up, I think she just threw my shit on the lawn.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment