Wednesday, July 8, 2026

(fb)60 Years Are Too Many: And The Band Played On

 

    8 July 2026

        It is a struggle to write and force myself into something "positive" while listening to NPR and functioning as a thinking, compassionate human.

        But screaming into the void isn't going to help. Heather Delaney Reese/Cox Richardson, Aaron Parnas, and Rachel Maddow are covering every aspect of the USA Demise thoroughly. I also like Ooooh That's Rich, Pissed Magistus, Meidas Touch and Monte Mader.

        And NPR.

        So...maybe I should step away for a minute.

        5555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555= 

        Houston just took a stroll across the keyboard. She needs to stick her nose in my ice tea.

        At the same time, I'm doing walking Tai Chi and going back to the gym. Which is not helping but at least I'm doing something while watching Monte and Pissed, OOOH, or the Britsh guy who says "But you don't want to look like a thickie thickie dumb dumb in front of your mates." 

        I can no longer take solace in animal videos because AI has corrupted that. AI ruins everything.

        Forcing myself to write stupid little tidbits is very much like the band playing while the Titanic sank. They made a difference to nobody. Nobody was distracted by the music while freezing to death.

        But I think I understand them now. They did it for themselves. They were doomed, so they chose to go out doing what they loved.

        They did it for themselves.

        So here I am.

        July pony school today was M/W kids' water day. I hate water day, I know it's great for the kids, but the schedule is disrupted and no matter how well you think you're managing towels and shoes and crafts---I won't change anybody into their street clothes, they arrive wearing their swim suit and leave wet---I still can't get the timing right. We're always done a little early or-as we were today- late. 

        We were already running behind when L -with all of this tiny three year old voice -decided He Is The Boss Of Everybody while standing in line, only to be shouted down by a five year old with more experience. Her voice wasn't much bigger, but those two years of experience have given her practice toward a shrill tone that cuts through the air. She also knew he was full of shit and was mostly just holding space until an adult could arrive and stabelize the region. That's what we do. Proud of her.

        But that took an additional five minutes when we were already five minutes behind. Not just because M chose to wear a one piece dance dress over her swimsuit that she could not pull back on without adult help, but that didn't boost the time. Gratefully, parents were very gracious about our late pick up. 

        In addition, it was 95 freaking degrees and I've never seen preschoolers eat popcicles more slowly than they did today. It was hot, don't you want to gobble your popcicle?  

        C, the kid who caused his own injury by keeping other children out of the playhouse, did not return today. We are quietly hoping his FAFO moment resonated, and if he does return, he will be more amenable to sharing.

        This week has been very fighty. I think 90% of the kids are repeats from June, and they are either over it or more comfortable. Even the littles are grumpy. Greedy. Not in a space where sharing sounds like the right thing to do. They are, in fact, marching up to other children holding a pink hula hoop or a minion and wrestling it from them.

        Is it the heat?

        Is it because they're more comfortable?

        Is it because three weeks in June was fun, but now they want to stay home?

        I dunno, but I'm stuck for two and a half more weeks with this group, and today I used my "mom voice",which is more dangerous than my teacher voice. The kid stopped the behavior and looked at me. I said "That's right, buddy, you do not want to hear that tone again. Cease and desist." Because my vocabulary doesn't change at preschool, either. It's part of my charm.

        We don't have camp on Fridays, so tomorrow is my Friday.

        God Bless Us Every One.

        Scene.


No comments:

Post a Comment