Wednesday, July 22, 2026

60 Years Are Too Many: Preschoolers

     22 July 2026

        Preschool postcards.

       I'm a theatre teacher, it is not ununsual for me to make up random shit to say, songs to sing, etc.

        One day, while we were lining up for science in 90 plus degree heat, I really wanted to whine. But I'm working on that. So I just said "My teeth are not white enough. I quit."

        Before I knew it, the kids had embraced the words and created their own verb exercize in theatre.

          One kiddo who is going into kindergarten, is a very chill dude. Floofy, longer hair. Hippietastic. Happy to play alone, happy to play with others. He became a fan favorite, and was frequently being "trapped" by hula hoops on the playground. Everyone laughing and having The Best Time. 

           One day he was happily playing with the monster trucks, zooming them across the carpet. He was joined by another girl, also happily playing with him. "B", who makes a habit of screaming when "nobody will share", just walked up and took his truck. He said quietly "sharing is caring" and went back to his very important monster truck rally. She returned and took another truck. He looked up at her more directly and said  a bit more loudly "Sharing is caring" and paused. She threw the truck back in his general direction. She did it a third time, and his voice was at a much stronger volume, "Sharing Is Caring". When she returned a  fourth time, he stood up, looked around for adult support and shouted "SHARING IS CARING" and I just about lost it. I didn't laugh but I desperately wanted to.

        He didn't have the words for what was happening. He had never been in that situation before and has clearly been raised to be a sharing and kind human. But after the third attack, He Was Done. 

        Yesterday on the field, the girls tied their friend who was wearing her Elsa dress to the umbrella pole with a red and white jumprope. I have no idea why. There didn't seem to be any storyline at first, they just figured out they could tie her up. Everyone was laughing, there was nothing sinister afoot.

        Twenty feet across from them, two other girls thought this looked like a good idea. So they tied a three year old to the other flagpole with another red and white jump rope.

        Around her neck.

        I was flabberghasted. They could see Elsa tied safely around her middle. What went wrong in their processing?

        My glorious co teacher did a whole re-enactment, talking them through how to safely tie up our friends. 

        Teaching them how to use motor skills and socialize is A Big Job. We do no pay preschool teachers nearly enough.

        The job is exacerbated to almost impossible levels when the kids arrive without any concept of "others". Other people. Other rules. Other adults with authority.

        And no boundaries.

        I see it in high school all the time--not just in the theatre, but the classroom. If they can see it, it belongs to them. No concept of community. The pens are for everyone to use, please return it when you are done. The lap top is mine, not yours. The snacks are to be shared, but you must ask and you must share. They stock up like they're hiking the Andes. I had a high school kid shove all of the Doritos into his backpack, leaving nothing behind. Of course there was a conversation and it made sense to him---they don't have snacks at home, so he was taking them. I had to explain sharing is caring to a 16 year old boy. If he took them all, there would be none for other classes. There is no magical fairy replentishing the snacks  under cover of darkness, only me schlepping to Costco on the weekends. It was all New Information to him.

        This happens in preschool, but with toys. Their brains say "If I can see it, I can take it home". Hence "C" loading her backpack with ten matchbox cars, three monster trucks, two musical instruments, goggles, leggos and puzzle pieces. 

        Dude.

        In many ways, they are truly beautiful. Everything is new. 

        Including boundaries, rules and consequences.

        In many ways, they are truly horrible. Everything is new.

        My hippie friend---of "Sharing is caring"---was happily eating his popsicle after water day, dripping wet. He said "When do I change into my regular clothes?" I replied that, as stated all week to both the campers and their parents, we just go straight to the car wet. Our water time is the end of the day, so this gives us longer to play. He shrugged, said "Ok" and continued with his popsicle.

        The Screamer asked the same question,and immediately melted down. 

        Just saying.

        This summer was off. Of course the world is literally and figureatively on fire, and they feel it. Their energy is disrupted and they have no experience, tools or vocabulary to express themselves. So they start fights, refuse to share, scream, melt down or pilfer toys.

        Today was the last day with M/W.

        I'm not sure I have it in me to do this again tomorrow.

        One more daaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy....

          Scene.

        

        

No comments:

Post a Comment