Wednesday, July 10, 2019

This Is Why I'm Like This: King Soopers


  10 July 2019

  At this point, I've lost all understanding and, likely, control of what is happening.
  I went in today to sign new hire paperwork at King Soopers as a Customer Service employee. Aggressively part time, but still.
  I'll give you a second.
  I have been hired to work a desk entirely dedicated to customer service.
  I suppose I am hopeful I can tell people they are stupid without fear of admonishment from administration or parents.
  Or maybe I just want to solve, solvable problems. What a concept.
  You need your propane refilled? Done.
   Lottery Ticket? Done.
   Pay your Excel bill? Done.
   Buy Ren Fair tickets?My pleasure.
   Maybe I've just been so abused and devalued that I just crave being able to provide a tangible, objective service to people.
   Too much?
   OK, so maybe I'm just not smart enough to teach or be in theatre any more. Is that better?
   After  a month of assembly line work, standing in one place, building and packing one thing, I have a new perspective.
   Unfortunately, I am still unsure what that perspective means, but I feel better so I know I have one.
   The cost of living in Colorado has increased 3.1% this year. My raise as a teacher is .2%.
  A general manager at King Soopers makes a comparable salary to mine, and they also participate in profit sharing and tax bonus'.
   A store manager of a Barnes and Noble will make the same salary as I do.
   There is no judgement here, just facts.
   OOOH, Project Manager, I can do that. Same salary.
   Never mind, I'm going to apply for that. Talk to you later.

   Twenty minutes later I'm back.
   What the actual hell is going on out there? Glassdoor? LinkedIn? If you don't fill out each box according to the pre prescribed description it won't let you move on. Nothing I have done, ever, has fit a pre prescribed description box guys, and I promise I'm the most innovative job candidate you could get today but...oh well.
   Also, just so you know I am not down with taking the music out of Mulan. I'm not spending my money to see that shit.

    UGH

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment