Tuesday, July 9, 2019

This Is Why I'm Like This: Rob Lowe Won


  So as I returned to St. Elmo's Fire in a previous blog, I realized that  Rob Lowe won the Brat Pack Competition. I'm not sure he knew it was a competition, but he is the only member of that group who is still  functioning as a working actor. I am leaving Robert Downey, Jr. out of the "Brat Pack", as he was generationally there, yes, and in a John Hughes movie, sure. He was also in the quintessential movie version of one of my fave novels during that era, Less Than Zero, in which he pretty much played himself. Nevertheless, he had his own issues and was not really associated with the "Pack". Therefore, he cannot be considered a competitor. Also, if he was, then he would win. Clearly.
   I think of Molly Ringwald, Andrew McCarthy, Emilio Esteves, Rob Lowe, Demi Moore, Judd Nelson, Anthony Michael Hall and Ally Sheedy as the "Pack". I think that's pretty fair, as their films did cross one another and because it's my blog and I say so.
   Also, to be clear, I never fan girled Rob. Again, he was almost too pretty to look at directly and I found that upsetting. When I saw him at the DCPA I honestly can tell you more about his shoes than his face. I hear a line from Amadeus when these types are paraded in front of us. "Only talent interests a woman of taste." So I, honestly, dismissed Rob in favor of Val Kilmer, who frankly hits all the below listed markers as well as possessing major talent for the craft. Rob's talent has never knocked me out, but he has improved because he is tenacious. I will always applaud growth. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
   How did Rob win?
   As I have read both of his books and attended a live speaking engagement, I think I can say that, in my professional opinion, he's just a better actor. I know, hold on, hear me out. In film I separate "actors", "directors" , "writers"  and "celebrities" because to me, real craftsmen live in theatre. So they get to be  called "Theatre Kids", which is a high honor. The highest honor of "Master Craftsman" is reserved for those who cross into both: Gary Oldman, Helen Mirrien, Bryan Cranston. I don't have a matching category for film actors, so Rob has to live in his category of actor.To me a great actor---or a true "Theatre Kid" --is someone who is brave, willing to stretch themselves, in love with the craft, tenacious as fuck and has an understanding of who they are.
   Rob Lowe has taken serious roles as well as silly roles---I loved The Grinder and was truly disappointed when it was cancelled--with equal relish. He just wants to work. It's like he's not in it for celebrity or money, he just loves the work. Huh. What a concept? He's willing to be ugly as well as ridiculous---did you see the Liberace movie with Michael Douglas? Did you even know that was Rob Lowe playing the plastic surgeon? Brave. And willing to stretch himself, literally, look at those eyebrows. (Go ahead, look it up. I'll wait.)
    It helps his case that he played my all time favorite Stephen King character Nick Andros in The Stand. In his book Love Life he talks of seeking out an acting coach to help him with the role, and being open and allowing someone to push him in a direction that was completely foreign to him. All in the name of getting the character right. Brave and willing to stretch himself. Not many with an existing career and looks so stellar he blocks out the sun, would be so bold.
   In both of his books, he explores his upbringing and gives insight into how determined he was to be an actor. Not having anyone willing to give him rides, he had to bus it for hours to get to auditions. He is kind in his remembrances of roles lost (he blew his knee at Footloose auditions) and when he was treated poorly due to his "celebrity" status (The West Wing). He understands where others are coming from, and even when they are clearly just rotten ass gnomes, he keeps moving forward. These stories, as well as those about being on set and learning from other actors and the funnier/sad ones of parties and rehab, all tell the reader that this man knows who he is. It was a rough journey, but he has arrived and it's fine. When I saw him at the DCPA (shout out to Jim for buying us tickets, I know he did not really want to go), some idiot woman yelled out "You're pretty!" Without breaking stride he smiled and said "Yes. I know," and continued to tell his stories. Which is why I was there, to hear his stories. Unfortunately I think I was in the minority, I think many just wanted to look at the beautiful freak. His quick response shut down anyone else who thought they may need to yell at him, and the rest of the evening was a lovely journey. He began with an old 80's poster of himself, shirtless, on the screen and then asked "Where were my parents? Why was this allowed to happen?" There was a huge laugh and grateful guffaws from the patient husbands who were now going to listen to him.I love his stories and his voice, and had read one book before seeing him, and immediately purchased the second after seeing him. His voice is that great.
  He packed the theatre.
  Judd Nelson did not pack the theatre. Just sayin'.
  He still works, regularly. He even had his own show for a bit with his sons where they explored urban legends. The man allowed them to air footage of him hurling off the deck of a ship as his sons stood by and snickered. Brave, again.
  And on any given day, if you watch TV, you can see him pitching Atkins snack bars, letting us in on his dieting secret.
  He's still present. He's still working. He has a family that loves him. He writes. People buy the books he writes. He's managed to remain kind and centered and generous throughout and can still bitch slap anyone who is attending his one man storytelling evening just because he's pretty.
   He knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment