Sunday, January 6, 2019

Open Adoption:How'd She Meet The Parents?


     A Piece Of The Unique Story

    When Harp found out she was pregnant, which she discovered when she passed out behind the wheel of her car,totaling two vehicles....she was in massage therapy school. Apparently, they warn you repeatedly that, due to the fact that you are receiving massages and your body is relaxed, you have a higher chance of getting pregnant. Apparently, she ignored that warning. Or, as our story unfolds, a more likely explanation is that God had other plans.
    As she was wrestling with the new information, she asked me about my friends Scott and Kelly. Scott is the theatre teacher at GW, and Kelly, his wife, worked with me when I had a theatre company for ten minutes when Harp was a baby. They had recently chosen to put themselves out there as adoptive parents. They had been signed with the company a few months, and I knew they were excited and scared, as all hopeful parents are. Harp and Genoa had done some makeup workshopping with Scott's students, and both had met Kelly. I texted Kelly and asked which agency they were with.
    Harp got on the company website and could not find Scott and Kelly. I encouraged her to look at all the prospective parents, as maybe there was a snag with Scott and Kelly.  She did, and then insisted I ask Kelly what was going on. I IM'd Kelly:

              "Hey, I don't see you guys on the adoption site."
               "I know, we're making a video to upload this weekend. It'll be up then."
                "OK, Harper will be reaching out to you."

    Right over Kelly's head.

    So Harp texted Kelly and they contacted the agency. They met and the rest is...Fox Alan Hasbrouck.

    Kelly has known Harp her whole life. I was pregnant with her when Kelly joined the theatre company.
     Scott has worked in Denver theatre for 100 years, we know all the same people. He became an educator a few years after I did.

     Apparently, that part of the story is what makes it unique.

    It felt like a set up from the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment