Wednesday, May 31, 2017

PN

Fiction

We all make our choices.  When I graduated from high school last year, I knew I did not want to go into debt for college. I knew I hated school, but also knew I liked learning. The issue for me was, I didn't learn much in high school. Which sucks cause my mom's a teacher. But it's not her fault, she is one of three or four  teachers in that building that actually taught me something. I  chose to go to community college, pay as I attend, and burn off my gen eds. I chose to work at PN. I chose to change my path in May and attend massage therapy school instead. I regret one of these choices: the job.

The bakery is near the Colorado Mills, in a newer open air strip mall kinda thing, with nothing but restaurants. I am fortunate that I don't work in the Mills, as those poor guys were all fired last week  when they closed the stores. That hail storm was a drag, but we didn't get any damage. Our buildings are outside, built by a different contractor. The Mills was pretty much a Tuff Shed. I worked at a shoe store in there in high school, it's pretty lame. I am glad I am not associated with the architects contractors who built the Mills, as I am not a lawyer, either, but I figure somebody's getting sued. Big Time. Every Single Store had to close for business, including Target. 

Last week a group of kids came into the bakery who had just been "fired", their word, from their store in the mall. I don't know which store. They had final paychecks and paperwork and were all planning their next move and weren't angry, they were just...out of a job, right before summer. Then I heard on the news later that day that a bunch of retailers from all over Colorado are reaching out to hire these guys. They're trying to absorb as many displaced employees as they can. I started crying. Seriously, I did. Sometimes even corporations can surprise you. I'm 19, and I worked in the mall in high school, and I know those managers are making enough to barely get by. This had to shatter them. I really hope all the managers found jobs. That would make me happy.

After I heard that on the news, I went to Petco to get my cat a toy. There was a year and a half old momma kitty whose kittens had been adopted out, but she was left behind. She was shy. Her cage said "I can't be around children, dogs or several other cats." Then it said "Scheduled to be destroyed" with tomorrow's date. Her fee was waived. She was free. So I adopted her. And today I went in to work, as usual, kinda hating it but accepting that I need to work while I'm in school to pay my rent. Oh ya, I also chose to get an apartment with my boyfriend.

There's this kid that works with me who harasses a few of us. Girls, he harasses girls. He sent me a nude pic last week. I told my manager. He said "There's nothing we can do, it didn't happen at work."

I said "Ok, I'm blocking his number."

"You can't do that, he's a co worker. What if he needs to get a hold of you?"

I paused. "Or I can call the police."

So I blocked the number, and last week he showed up at work with flowers. "I don't like you, this makes me uncomfortable." He just stood there smiling. I refused the flowers, and the manager told him he couldn't do that any more.

Word in the Bakery is that he fires on the spectrum. I see it. I went to high school with kids like him. He's not fully aware that he's being creepy. But three of us have filed complaints. Three of us have blocked his number and spoken to him about how creepy he his. Twice he has waited for girls by their car after their shift. The complaints have piled up and nothing has been done.

I filed another complaint, and called the District Manager. He said he's aware but the kid isn't doing anything at work. I said "He's stalking us. He waits by our cars. We feel unsafe at work."
"But that's not on site. He isn't doing anything at work."

I talked to the other girls and discovered he has send dick picks to all of us. Management talked ot him, but he only stops sending to whatever girl he likes at the moment. So, Management talked to him again yesterday.

Then last night my phone blew up. I got texts and calls  from unknown numbers asking to call, saying "I'm responding to your Craig's list." I did not post on Craig's list. In five minutes I found the ad: "Hot teenage girl looking to make extra money!" with my number. I know exactly who did it, who else would retaliate like that?

Today I left work and he was at my car. I asked Katie to walk me. On our way, he stood between us and my car. I asked him to move. He did not. I said "move or I'll move you." Every step we took to get around him, he countered, literally chasing us around my car. I stopped. I nodded at Katie and she got out her phone, training the camera on us.
I looked at the kid, "Did you put that ad on Craig's list?."
He walked over to me, smiling. "Katie," I say. She nods.
I make eye contact with him and muster my courage."What is your deal?"
"You're pretty."
"You've been spoken to by management, you know this is inappropriate. Katie, Mary and I have all filed complaints against you, blocked your number and asked you to stop. Yet you continue."
"I don't understand why it's wrong, we're just talking."
"One step closer and I will punch you."
He laughed. He thought I was joking.
He took a step closer. Then he reached for me.


I have a green belt in Tae Kwan Do, it was no contest.  I did not  punch him, it was a spin kick. It's all video taped. However Katie and I were both fired. We were told he's special, he doesn't understand and that we acted carelessly. We were wrong.

That's what you think PN, there's this thing called social media and guess who's posting the video, along with copies of our complaints and the address of the bakery?

Just because I adopt doomed cats and am quiet and kind, does not mean I'm going to take this.

They thought they escaped the hail storm. They have no idea.




May 2017
kryssi martin


No comments:

Post a Comment