Saturday, October 13, 2018

Things I Learned By Being Off Facebook



    It's hard to stay off of Facebook. My daughters are doing The Things and I had to pop back in to at least promote their work. ( GENOA IS DOING ROCKY HORROR AT THE STRATER THEATRE IN DURANGO, HARP IS WORKING AT MASSAGE ENVY IN SWPLAZA AND HAS STARTED HER OWN PRACTICE IN LAKEWOOD)

   Birthdays without facebook are  kinda sad. Truly, I received 8 birthday texts, five from immediate family members. My dad and my inlaws didn't text. I have no idea if they facebooked, but I doubt it, as they aren't the people who would do that. I'm pretty sure my dad just forgot---he decided one year that my sister's birthday ---7 May---was weirdly 7 April, and sent her a card a month early. Perhaps I'll receive a card on 10 November.  What kept it from being sad sad, is that my work husband brought me flowers, my colleagues gave me a "bucket of love notes",  a student gave me candy,my real husband brought me flowers, and my daughter gave me candles and a scarf. Also my mom always remembers, every year, without fail, to mail or drop by a card. Without Fail. Because that's what moms do. Scene.

   I have no idea what everybody's mad about because I'm not on Facebook. I watch the news and make up my own mind. I read my 2018 State Ballot Information Booklet, read my emails from the teacher's union, and made my own decisions.

    I'm searching the house for books I haven't read, and I've started  texting my children about their days.

   I have been cobbling  together fake wood floor stickers with throw rugs to get ready for the appraisal, and I've started emailing the financial people to make sure they're paying attention. This consumes me. I researched fake wood stickers and wrote down which bin in which to find them at Home Depot. The various throw rug/fake sticker options rule my world, I have dreams about different configurations at the lowest cost.

    I went to Home Depot and it wasn't for a show.

   I walk the dogs. They aren't my dogs.

   I drink a lot more. Daily.

  I pick up my phone to get on Facebook and then stare at it, look for a recent text,and play Ballz instead.

   5 people total read my blogs if they are not posted on Facebook.

   My husband and I do not see eye to eye on recent social/political issues.

   Nobody seems to have my phone number.

   I finally made a much needed and long overdue dental appointment. Hoping we're not too late to save my gums, but we'll see.

   I took the first step toward mental health support. For myself.

   My floors are mopped every Sunday, without fail. Sunday  is now "Floor Day". I enjoy it.

   Instead of clicking on Facebook to waste my time, I started smoking. Sometimes, I go to the grocery store and buy ingredients to make a meal. If it's after 4, I open an Angry Orchard Hard Cider and sit on my deck. Sometimes I see what's on TV.

   I have become the Washing Machine Investigator as the machine does not smell right. Running a sanitize load with washing machine cleaner did not help. Running vinegar through was unsuccessful. Running bleach through the bin and the detergent delivery drawer did not work. Tomorrow I'm getting the drill...
 
  So I got that going for me.

  It's been 13 days.

....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment