Sunday, June 18, 2023

Porter: A Drama

Characters

Isaiah -22,clearly holding it together with everything he has, he looks stressed.

Jamie-22 she primarily looks tired.

Marie(new arrival  in a wheelchair)- 20

Mike-30's lost his wife a year ago. Has a semi permanent bed here. The most reasonable sounding and looking of the bunch.

Stacy- 28 permanent resident. If she were in the world instead of inside, she would seem stoned. Slow reaction time, vaguelysmiling.

Megan-45 BPD, wound up like a top, coiled like a snake, always ready to attack.

Steve- the nurse, any age or gender, nearby, kind and patient, watching until the end.


The TIk Tok they refer to is one in which two people are on opposite sides of a hospital room with the curtains drawn. The one with their phone  says “Do you know the muffin man?” and a voice from the other side of the screen screams in a high pitch “the Muffin Man?” and the recorder repeats in a higher, more hysterical voice "THE MUFFIN MAN! The Tik Tok appears to be a  recovery room, and most psych wards will not allow phones. The idea that it was Jamie and Isaiah in the psych ward is pure fiction, and  not likely based on hospital rules. It’s just fun to imagine.


setting 

The common room of Porter Hospital's Behavioral Health wing. There is a desk nearby with a nurse on duty, Steve. SL are three phones with small chairs, and the general room where the actors are seated has three  round tables.


Isaiah and Jamie are seated at the center  table, clearly in conversation for a time. Stacy  walks a pattern, occasionally sitting down and listening. She has a pleasant look on her face and a slight smile. When she speaks, it is quietly and  with kindness. She is clearly so medicated she is  barely able to function.


            ISAIAH

         Did you see our Tik Tok? It’s viral.

                 JAMIE

I don’t think anybody knows it was in a mental hospital. They wouldn’t think it was so funny if they did.

            ISAIAH

But we know, ‘cause it was us. In a high pitched voice THe MUFFIN MAN!

            JAMIE

        The  Muffin Man?

            ISAIAH

        THE MUFFIN MAN!!!!

                                    They both laugh.

             JAMIE

    Did you end up back there again?

                 ISAIAH

    No, no are you crazy? That place was a prison. I told my psych I’ll come here or Denver, but not Aurora. Not Going Back There.

                MIKE

            We don’t say “crazy”. You know that.

                JAMIE

    Will your insurance cover one of those other places out south? They look like resorts.

                ISAIAH

Nope. My insurance is still stupid. I still have it from Minnesota. Has to be a regular hospital like this. Can’t be a rehab or a private one. But I’m with you, those places look sweet. Like a rehab instead of a psych ward.

                JAMIE

         I like it here. Everybody’s nice. And I get my meds.

A young woman in a wheelchair rolls up to the table next to them. They watch her adjust for a moment, and then get up and move to her.

                ISAIAH

Hey. I saw you come in. You didn’t have the wheelchair.

                MARIE

            Ya. I pass out.

                JAMIE

You passed out? When you got here?

                MARIE

Yes, and I pass out, it’s a thing. I passed out when I got here, and they found out that I pass out, so I can’t be out of the chair. 

                                                MIKE

            You "pass out" and you "passed out"? You're a passer-outer?

                ISAIAH

They made us leave in the chairs from Aurora, I have no idea what that was about. We didn’t pass out. Here I just walk out. Whenever I’m ready. I’m Isaiah.

                    MARIE

                            Marie.

                     JAMIE

                    Jamie.

                                                    MIKE

                                                   Ludwig.

                    ISAIAH

             I am on my second grippy sock vacation so far this year.

                    JAMIE

                    No, third.

                    ISAIAH

Second. The first time was not voluntary, so it wasn’t a vacation. He stops abruptly, Jamie watches him control his face.

                    MARIE

I came out here for group. Is this group?

                    MIKE

We do say group. “Group” is not offensive. Hi, I’m Mike. Not Ludwig.

                    ISAIAH

In ten minutes. It’s group, then art therapy, then quiet time which is also visiting hours. Then dinner. So If you have a visitor, they’ll meet you out here. It's a very comforting schedule.

                     MIKE

Group is that room over there, behind the nurses' station.


Megan enters.  Mike, Isaiah and Jamie watch her and all talking ceases. She sits down at the next table, across from Marie. Mike is  behind her, so he can see Marie’s face and Megan cannot see him.

                                                    MIKE

                        (continuing as he watches Megan)

I’m Mike. They keep a bed  here for me when I need  to adjust. My wife was killed in a car accident a year ago.

               ISAIAH

             Mike and I go way back…

                MIKE

Pre Covid. I was here before my wife died, too. I’m schizophrenic. Reaches out to shake Maria's hand. I’m not crazy or insane, just schizophrenic. Doing a decent Billy Crystal impression from Princess Bride. Which  is mostly insane. It’s still a little bit sane. If I was all the way insane, there’d only be one thing left to do…

                ISAIAH

Go through his pockets and look for loose drugs.

         Mike and Isaiah do a rim shot.

                STACY

I get it. I get it every time you say it. You say it a lot.

                ISAIAH

Thanks Stacy. I moved to Wyoming during Covid----He cuts off.

                JAMIE

Because there are no psych wards  in Wyoming…

                ISAIAH

Yes, there are. He goes silent, doesn’t want to elaborate. 

                                                 MEGAN

To Marie. They brought me in in a wheelchair too. I collapsed  when I got here.  My ex husband beat me. Mike shakes his head “no” at  Marie and puts his finger to his lips to suggest she stay quiet. To Marie. I’m bipolar. What’s your deal? Marie is quiet, torn between Mike's “shhhh” and Megan’s relentless stare. You look like my sister. She’s the reason I’m here. She called the cops on me just because I came to her house.If you have a sister I bet she’s not like mine. You look nice.  Megan  gets up and wanders off.

                 MIKE

Sorry, she’s been here two weeks. Her psych won’t release her. 

                 JAMIE

Because she’s BDP and won’t go to  therapy.

                 MARIE

Isn’t BPD bipolar? Can’t she be on meds?

                 STACY

Passing through again. Borderline Personality Disorder. It’s a  Behavior. Behaviors can’t be medicated. Shouldn't be medicated. Lucky. Wanders off.

                ISAIAH

That’s Stacy, she never leaves for long. Poor thing, they keep messing with her meds. Last  time they let her out and she got a job at a dog grooming place. She fell asleep on the table with a dog. 

                MIKE

DBT Therapy is intense. And you have to go.

                MEGAN

Stop talking about me, I went to therapy. I went. To Marie. I didn’t go one time and they called the police on me.

                ISAIAH

Because that’s the agreement, you know that Megan. They take therapy  seriously. He pauses. Not like some states, it's really good here.

                   MIKE

My wife was bipolar. I had a friend with BDP, he was  30.  I thought it was a teenage girl’s disorder, but it turns out…it’s not. They’re very different. I think everybody has BPD, honestly. I see a lot of it in here. Everyone’s  selfish.

                JAMIE

     In here?  I see it a lot out there.

                     MEGAN

I am not selfish. Do you people just sit around and talk about me all day?

                JAMIE

BPD is not just selfish, it’s not about being selfish.

                MIKE

        Ya, it is. At its core. It’s like O.D.D.

                                                MEGAN

            I'm not the selfish one. Talk to my alcoholic sister. She's selfish.

                JAMIE

No, it’s not. O.D.D. is completely different.

                MIKE

I beg to differ, O.D.D. is BPD on steroids with a bipolar chaser.

                ISAIAH

We never agree on this, why do you argue, Mike?

                MIKE

Because behaviors are  different than mental health and it annoys me that nobody cares.

                                                ISAIAH

        I get it. At least you live in a state that cares. Wyoming was not----he cuts himself off. He has never talked about what happened, even with Jamie. At least here there is a conversation about both, an acknowledgment that they are real and exist.

                JAMIE

We do agree that Trump has at  least BPD, possibly ODD.

                MARIE

                 Sorry… O.D.D.—

                JAMIE

        Oppositional Defiance Disorder.

                MARIE

No, I know. I know that one.  My sister has it. She’s 13. 

                ISAIAH

I wonder if it shows up in older people, like BPD. Like  if you’re 30 and have ODD…

                MIKE

    You’re in jail I assume. Right? If you never got over it? he stops to clarify his thoughts. If you have O.D.D. and you are thirty, and you've robbed a liquor store and been homeless because you refuse to obey any of society's rules...you're in jail.

                MARIE

That’s terrible. It can be treated. My sister is in therapy. I want her to  get better.

                MEGAN

Returning, plops down in the same chair. I voted  for  Trump. Then he broke into my house and raped me. Gets up, walks off.

                MARIE

So, my parents are coming during visiting hours. Her statement to Isaiah is subtextually addressing Megan, and the look on her face is asking if Megan will be in the common room when her parents arrive. They’re bringing me clothes. 

                     ISAIAH

   You’re so lucky to have parents that care. He smiles at her. She's in and out, usually out when there are visitors.

                 JAMIE

            Your mom visits every time.

                 ISAIAH

It’s  true, her mom and my mom are friends now. to Jamie I meant Megan. to Marie Our moms met when we were in Aurora together.

             ISAIAH and JAMIE

DO You know the MUFFIN MAN?They collapse laughing

                 JAMIE

To Marie. If you can manage to, stay outta there.

                 ISAIAH

If it’s a hold from an ER, they send you to where there’s a bed. So the first time a lot of  people end up there. But then you know. And when you know…you know.

                 JAMIE

My roommate there tried to strangle me.

                 ISAIAH

It’s like a prison. I had to go on a grippy sock vacation after being in that alleged "psych ward" just to deal with the trauma of the place. It’s horrible.

                     JAMIE

    This place is great. This is what they all should be  like.

                MIKE

        No Nurse Ratchet’s here.

                                                JAMIE    

                            Nobody's tried to strangle me.

                     ISAIAH

        We get  Nurse Steve.

                ISAIAH,MIKE,JAMIE

              STEEEEEEEEEVE.

                MIKE

                He’s the best.

                       MEGAN

When is group? I came out of my room for group. I have things to say.

                    MIKE

                 Five minutes, Megan.

                           STACY

                  Thank you five.

                    ISAIAH

Stacy was in theatre in high school. She does that every time, even if she’s not in the common room. She’ll do it from her room. Kinda funny. Steve video taped it once for TIk Tok.  Against  the rules, but we didn’t tell.  We love Steve.

                    JAMIE

You didn’t tell me how you ended up back inside.

                    ISAIAH

I can’t ever sleep. Jamie nods. I'm schitzophrenic. They can't get my meds right. Pick a reason.

                        MARIE

So, you guys are not like, crazy crazy. Just mentally ill?

                        JAMIE

I’m crazy as a rat. I have bipolar, anxiety  and depression, as well as BPD.  I got the BPD under control, but I can’t hold a  job, I get overwhelmed. 

                        ISAIAH

Don’t be so  hard on yourself. You were doing  great. To Marie. She was working in a high school.

                         JAMIE

                         Until the shooting. 

                         MARIE

Oh my God, me too. I mean, not working, but my school had a shooting. My anxiety spiked. I started passing out again, too.

                         JAMIE

In my professional opinion, anyone still working in a high school after a  shooting is crazy.

                        MIKE

                         Don’t say “crazy”...

                        JAMIE

In this instance I am correct. Doing the same  thing over and over again and expecting different results: crazy.

                                                        ISAIAH

        Suggesting that everyone just "return to normal" after a shooting without any real mental health support: crazy.

                                                        MIKE

    Post Covid-"Go back to your lives, return to normal": Crazy. There is no normal any more. It's all crazy.


Megan finds her way to what would be the center of the group. ISAIAH, MIKE and JAMIE all move to give her room. This is her usual pre-group monologue.

                             MEGAN

My sister is a lying alcoholic. She is a raging, lying alcoholic. She is the reason I am here. If she were not a lush, I’d be home. But she cannot stand that my boyfriend is better than her ex husband, so she called the police on me. I didn’t do anything except go to  her house. Our parents are dead, she is all I have and she hates me. I called the police on her when she was drunk and got her help, she has never thanked me. I am not the crazy one. I went to her house is all. I went Friday and again on Saturday because she wouldn’t open the door. If you aren’t going open the door then  you give me no choice but to break a window. Normal  people answer  their phone when their sister calls. Normal people open the front door  when their sister knocks. She hides like it’s a zombie apocalypse. I just want to explain why there is no police  report on my ex husband. He broke in and beat me and I told her and she went to the police station to look for a report. But she says there isn’t one, so she’s calling me a liar and a manipulator  and I just want to talk to her. So I called her ex husband and told him she was drinking again because she won’t answer my calls. Or the door. And I’ve always hated that stupid gnome statue, anyway, and he went right through the front window like a rocket. Flying gnome!  It was awesome!  Gnome and glass everyone. I guess it hit her dog on the head, but he’s fine, he didn’t die or anything, that’s not my  fault, it’s not my fault the dog was under the window.  It’s not my fault she won’t believe me even if there isn’t a police report about my ex husband attacking me, that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. She’s losing it and STEVE has appeared behind her. Isaiah and Jamie are watching him instead of Megan. The dog is fine, he has a bump on the head there was  no reason to call the police on me. No reason. Maybe she should have replaced that window with non breakable glass after the last time, maybe that’s on her,  not me. I mean c’mon, use your head. I broke the window last time with a different gnome, any reasonable person would have removed the remaining gnomes and replaced the window with non breakable glass. It's so simple, why is everyone an idiot---

                    STEVE

    Hey, Megan, it’s time  for group. I’ll walk you over.

                    MEGAN

    Hi Steve. Is it time? I really don’t have anything to say, do I have to go?

                    STEVE

    Yes, you do Megan. You know  you do. You can  just sit there. It’s  fine. He holds out his arm, and she takes it not unlike Blanche DuBois. They exit. Steve waves the others to follow with his free hand. C’mon friends, let’s go to group. Slowly they all exit. Mike pushes Marie’s wheel chair, Jamie and Isaiah walk side by side, Stacy takes up the rear alone.

                    STACY

Thank you Steve. Places! She begins to "check" her non existent pockets, like Peter Falk at the end of The Princess Bride. Okay. Allright. Okay. OK. Oooookay...she follows them off.



                    END PLAY

No comments:

Post a Comment