Saturday, May 15, 2021

Reason #28: I Am Waiting 13 May 2021

  I have used the Ferlinghetti "I Am Waiting' example in classes for years. The beauty is that you can rewrite it every few months, and it has a different tone. I wrote one in December, and this one was written in May. I performed it on the stage in front of about 15 audience members and a live feed. It is the first performance I have done live in years, and the evening was the first real 'Live' performance the high school stage has hosted in 14 months.


         I Am Waiting  with all of my love and apologies to Lawrence Ferlinghetti and Samuel Beckett.


 

12 MAY 2021

I am waiting for art and theatre and poetry to be revered

I am waiting for students to turn on their cameras

I am waiting for my pay to match my passion.

I am waiting for Broadway to open her eyes and yawn and ask what's been going on

I am waiting for the dog to self wash so he does not smell like a Frito

I am waiting for an apology

I am waiting for karma

I am waiting for a revolution of kindness

I am waiting for Christ to come down from his bare tree and end this absurdist cycle with a tip of his bowler and a magic turnip

I am waiting for Beckett and Ferlinghetti to smite me for invoking their genius in my silly poem.

I am waiting to follow Keanu and Dolly to the promised land

I am waiting to win a new coastal home from HGTV!

I am waiting for the revolution of kindness

I am waiting for my internet to reconnect

 I am waiting for Comcast to care that my internet won’t reconnect

I am waiting for the cats to get jobs and contribute to the household and I am waiting for my obsession with Schitt's Creek to cease

I am waiting for laughter.

I am waiting for Hamlet to kill Claudius already

And I am waiting for wait loss to be easy.

I am waiting for someone to care

I am waiting for the victory of decency

I am waiting to move forward, for the US to stop hovering like hurricane Harvey over Houston

I am still waiting for students to turn on their cameras

I am waiting to feel mentally stable

I am waiting for kindness

I am waiting for my hair to grow out

I am waiting for a haircut

I am waiting to be discovered or uncovered or recovered---

I am waiting to recover.

I am waiting for my groceries

I am waiting in the drive through because everybody quit will you please pay these people a living wage already, I’m Waiting.

I am waiting for the tribes to finally rise up and reclaim what is rightfully theirs and for Karen to stand down and relinquish what is not hers.

I am waiting for my favorite ancient shirt to disintegrate and fall off of my body as a metaphor

I am waiting for the brain fog to clear or the clear fog to brain and I can’t remember anybody’s name I am waiting to see clearly

And now you’re waiting for me to remember your name.

Thank you for your kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment