Thursday, March 11, 2021

Square State Educator...KIDS ON STAGE

 

 For those who are new, I have been remote for a year.

 Remote remote, like really remote. Not hybrid, not "but I get to see my soccer players". 

 Remote. Cut off. The Theatre Is Dark.

 I decided, since the building is hybrid, we would attempt a hybrid cabaret.

 This has proven to be more work than anything I've done live.

 Some snapshots:

    *I spent the best two hours I have had in a year in the light booth, programming only three cues, but changing the colors compulsively. Because I did not want to leave the booth.

    * A collegue who is an audiophyle wanted to know why we aren't using sound. I just shook my head and walked away. It's called Social Commentary, and it's what theatre does. We reflect the world back on itself. Therefore, a Hybrid Cabaret is going to be on stage for those who are live, and in google meets for those who are remote, period. No enhancement, additional cameras or audio. I'm not interested in livestreaming a theatre event, I'm interested in demonstrating how fucking stupid difficult this last year as been. I have no plans to return to this environment,ever, so no thank you, I do not wish to learn how to do it better. I want nothing more than to return to theatre live and never, ever ever ever have to teach theatre remotely again. Ever.

   * Yesterday's rehearsal was rough ragged Cliffs of Moher rough. These kids have either never been on stage in their lives, or not been on stage in a year. They are the ones who are brave enough to climb the stairs and perform, or record their work to be shown because they are on lockdown. Sharing a google meet video in google meet requires that we share our screen, turn off our mike and camera and push play. This is lag time, but it's what every teacher goes through when they wish to show any kind of video in class. Social Commentary. And very rough. Very, very rough.

   * I am starting from zero in this building. Literally building a department from nothing, not even the ashes of a former department. Any chance of a Phoenix died when Covid shut us down for a year. We've been rebooted. Unplugged. We're flatlined.Starting at zero. So any kid willing to perform gets to do so, talent or not. I Do Not Care. Be brave, perform, receive some love and support and fall in love with theatre. That's all I can do at the moment. This is our starting point.

   That last bit is what I finally had to come around to last night, after a lot of drinking. I have not failed. This is not about me. 


                       Scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment