Saturday, December 30, 2017

The Thing and The Pudding

I received Amy Poehler's book Yes Please for Christmas this year, and tore through it, much as I did Bossypants a few years ago.

I must have read Amy's book at the exact right time, because I can't stop my head yelling at me 'TEACHING THE THING IS NOT DOING THE THING, DO THE THING!"

I have, for a year and a half now not done The Thing.

I ventured out and found others who were willing to let me do The Other Thing, but not The Thing, and that was great and a fabulous distraction, and led me to believe that, maybe I could  return to  The Other Thing. The problem is, nobody wants me to do The Other Thing anymore, and nobody wants me to do The Thing, either, but they are happy to let me teach The Things anywhere I'd like, any age group I'd like.

But the issue is that I Love The Thing. And it only works if I can do it with people who are old enough and hungry enough to grow and stretch and rejoice and learn from the experience. As kind and magnificent as the many people who have allowed me to do  Sort Of The Thing are, the age group is wrong and not fulfilling for me. Which, they tell me, is not the point, it's not about ME, which is why you teach, dumbass, you TEACH THE THING because it is not about YOU.

UGH.

I don't want to do The Thing for Pudding, I don't even want the pudding! I stand by Christopher Guest's For Your Consideration: "I don't act for trophies." I AGREE. I don't care, dude, about pudding. I just want To Do The Thing. I miss The Thing.

UGH

Because teaching the thing, is NOT doing The Thing. My heart knows the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment