Thursday, October 26, 2017

Not My Finest Moment

Not My Finest Moment Post:
First, I have 65 LA 9 Honors Lit students. I am a theatre teacher.
Second, I have to smash my Acting 1 and Acting 2 into ONE period, two completely different syllabi...syllabuses.
Third, I work directing jobs outside because I am not allowed to direct inside.
I have 65 Of Mice and Men outlines and intro paragraphs to grade, as well as 3 plays by student playwrights and 12 Director's Notebooks, in addition to regular planning and IB deadlines. NOT complaining, Explaining.
An LA9H kid, who has done NOTHING so far for this essay, butted in line whilst I was sitting with other students---who were patiently waiting their turn--to go over their intro paragraphs. He then interrupted the student I was talking to ABOUT HER ESSAY, to demand if I read poetry. When I did not answer- because they know I do not answer if you have not waited your turn-he began to pace. (YES, there is an IEP involved but this is HONORS, people) When I did not give him the attention he wanted, he butted in again and said "I'm sending you my poetry, when can you read it?"
I stopped. I apologized to the delightful and patient young lady with whom I was working- on her assigned essay. I looked at the student who had interrupted.
And, before I could stop myself, I said "UGH".
Is it Thanksgiving yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment