Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Flames...Flames From the Side Of My Face

 

    OK, first not complaining. I had to decline the role of Mrs. Peacock in CLUE due to a conflict with one performance. I have tickets to see Richard Thomas in To Kill A Mockingbird. The show is sold out, and it's a limited run the same weeks as the play, so even if I could switch tickets, they'd still be during the show.

    HARUMPH.

    Honestly, acting for free while getting the musical up here would have been a bit much. Last year I directed two musicals simultaneously, but was paid. That makes it a bit better. 

    But my anger today is pretty palpable. See, when I have a sub, I do not adjust performance dates. Curtain UP. The End. So, if you're supposed to perform on a sub day, you perform. Twice now a sub has said they "didn't have access to the theatre". Which is unbelieveable to me, as they are adults and there are two other performing arts teachers with keys to the theatre. So. My third period intro chose instead to make sandwiches. Which was part of their scene, but since the sub "didn't have access" to the theatre, the kids assumed they didn't have scenes even though they were told last week AND I wrote it in the sub plan, so they just made sandwiches. They will be receiving  zeros and it's gonna suck. 

    My Acting 1 class, who are supposed to be Better Than That, did not do their quarter two written assignment. We read Glass Menagerie in class. I did a lecture. We watched the movie. All they had to do was turn in notes on themes and symbolism. They did not. ONE kid turned it in. So everyone but that one kid has an F. After that I clearly stated they were to READ A PLAY from the bookshelf, fill out the document about the play and present it. Two of them did the document, nobody presented. I'm not letting up. They do not get to do scenes until they FUCKING READ A PLAY ON THEIR OWN.

    And that is why there are flames, FLAMES from the side of my face...

    Also the building they have decided is the district's "performing arts school" is the same one I've had to loan actors to because she can't get kids to do shows, she needed a techie (I didn't have any kids who wanted to do it) and now needs lavaliers. Really? You're the Performing Arts hub but you're using my kids AND my equipment? 

    And the band played on...

No comments:

Post a Comment